Clinics & Services
Our practice nurses run clinics every day including:
- Family Planning/Contraception ( including emergency contraception, hormone implants and depo-provera).
- Health Promotion e.g. dietary advice, weight loss, stopping smoking, reducing risks of heart disease and cancer.
- Blood pressure checks
- Taking blood samples
- Travel health advice, immunisations both for children and travellers.
- Cervical smears
- Dressings, wound care and removal of sutures
- Ear syringing and urine testing
- Asthma checks and Diabetic checks
- Healthy heart checks and care after heart attacks or stroke.
- Epilepsy care
- Weight loss advice clinic
Clinic appointments vary between 10 minutes and 30 minutes in length so it is helpful if you can let our receptionists know what type of appointment you wish to make.
Ante-Natal and Post-Natal Care (Tuesday AM)
We provide both ante-natal and post-natal care in the practice. The midwife contacts all women soon after a pregnancy is confirmed to arrange antenatal care. She will provide advice throughout pregnancy including information about prenatal tests and options for delivery. The community midwife also looks after women in labour and for the first 10 days following the birth. The doctor carries out post-natal checks six weeks after delivery. Appointments are arranged by our reception team.
A chiropodist attends the surgery once a month and we can also refer patients to the chiropody centre at Hawkeys Lane, North Shields. As well as treating skin and nail problems, the chiropodist can advise on painful conditions affecting the feet. This is a limited service and is not available for routine nail cutting. Appointments are made following referral from the doctor.
Our physiotherapist holds a weekly clinic to assess acute musculo-skeletal injuries and gives advice and treatment for back, neck and other joint problems. Appointments are made following referral from the doctor.
Our dietician holds a clinic once a month and woks with our practice nurses to run our obesity and weight management clinics. She is also able to give advice on special diets for chronic diseases e.g. celiac disease/ swallowing disorders/ vitamin deficiencies. She can plan special diets for example to reduce high cholesterol or cope with food allergies. Appointments are made following referral from the doctor.
District Nurse Services
As well as providing nursing services for house bound patients our district nurses provide the following care:
- Dressings, removal of sutures, injections, blood tests, ear syringing.
- Advice and nursing care for both acute and long-term illnesses and patients who are terminally ill.
- Advice on incontinence and supplying pads and other aids.
- Helping the housebound to access Social Services.
Our Phlebotomist runs a clinic once a week taking blood. Children under 16 who need to have a blood test will normally be referred to the Paediatric nurse Practitioner. The nurse practitioners are based at Shiremoor Resource Centre. Parents are provided with a “numbing gel” to apply to their child’s arm 1-2 hours before the test. Appointments can be pre-booked at a convenient time.
Health Care Assistant
Our Health Care Assistant works closely with the practice nurses and also provides new patient checks, blood pressure reviews, blood tests, spirometry (lung tests) smoking cessation advice, diabetic foot checks.